Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The hills are alive, with the sound of…..

…..chafing thighs!  As Lady Gaga sings, “I was born this way” and shorter legs with muscular thighs are what I was graced with.  I could have it so much worse!  I could have no legs, I could have injured legs….but I have strong legs and, in particular, strong thighs to motor me up the godforsaken hills that make up my running neighborhood.  To be honest, I actually don’t mind hills and rather embrace them most of the time.  I did avoid one hill this morning, but on a good note, it added an additional mile to my planned route.  So I’m feeling pretty full of myself right now.

I headed out this morning for a rolling 6.25 mile run.  It’s already very warm, so I got out as early as I could.  A combination of a bad night of insomnia and a cranky stomach was not a good precursor to this morning’s running plan.  But I grabbed my grape Gatorade, headed out…..

…and had an awesome run!  I love when all the cards seem stacked against me and I pull off a decent run anyway.  It just goes to show how strong the mind/body connection can be.  Some of my splits –

1                 8:50
2                 8:38
3                 ?
4                 ?
5                 8:40
6                 8:35
7                 8:15

(there’s a .25 in there somewhere and a reminder to me that I really need to mark miles 3 and 4 for future reference)

And did I mention it’s warm today?  It was close to 80 degrees when I finished, so although not super fast, I feel great and very happy with this mid-week longer run.

Back to the chafing thighs….

One of my tried and true running necessities is Body Glide.  Nothing like it.  I get it pretty cheap on nationalrunningcenter.com and my running has left fewer battle scars ever since my recent loyalty to this product.  I heart Body Glide – swoon.  And no, this isn’t a feeble attempt at getting free Body Glide (though I’ll take it if offered!).



So, in looking at my thighs from a glass-half-full perspective, thanks thighs!  Keep up the good work, cuz I’m not moving to flats-ville anytime soon.  Bring on the hills and the Body Glide.  Match made in heaven.

1 comment: