Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Inspiration to start...

I’m one of those people who have a hard time just “being”.  If something is grade-able or measureable in some way, I’m challenged by it and want to obtain the best grade or result possible.  That’s why returning to school in my 30’s to complete my bachelor’s and then master’s degree was “easy”.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m no genius and I don’t say that to be cocky.  I say it because it falls right in line with what drives me.  I worked hard and lived for that grade report.  I also love gardening – again, it’s something I enjoy doing and am able to enjoy the result.  However, I love music and am dying to learn how to play the guitar Scott gave me as a graduation gift 2 years ago – but guess what?  It’s hard.  And, there’s no grade, no medal, no immediate gratification of being able to strum my way through a relaxing John Denver tune by the campfire.  So, I’ve yet to start.


But, boy do I love medals…..


Scott and I have collected a colorful and diverse family of medals to reflect our running adventures.  There are the revered medals from the Boston Marathon, there are medals that came in a 3-part series (run a 3 miler, 4 miler, and a 5 miler and each medal connected to the bigger medal – sweet!), there are medals that brag age category placement, and there are medals that reflect a magical Disney Goofy Challenge.  Scott still claims he had to run the Goofy Challenge because I wanted all three medals.  OK, he might be partially right.

 
T-shirts can be pretty cool too.  One in particular, the Mohawk Hudson River Marathon t-shirt, stands as my favorite right now.  It’s a light wick away shirt with a simple design.  Part of the reason I chose my Fall ’10 race in Albany, NY was for the date:  10.10.10.  I mean, it’s just cool right?  With two of us runners in the household, the t-shirts do tend to multiply quickly.  But they’re another form of proof that a race was run, a finish line reached, a goal achieved.

 
Running….yep, pretty much got that down pat.  Can I get better?  I think (hope) so.  For now, I have my medals to remind me of how much I have accomplished through the years.  My guitar continues to glare at me from the corner, challenging me to test strum it out, and I continue to have my own struggle with allowing myself to do things without the burden of proof that I must display any kind of awesomeness as part of it.

I wonder if they award a medal for just “being”…..(I’m kidding, I’m kidding!!)  Sort of.

What inspires you to start something new?



3 comments:

  1. Christmas day at your house is the best!!! The only thing I can think of that would be better is singing Christmas Carols while you accompany us on your guitar!

    ~ Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going back to school for your degrees - that's great!

    Sounds like you better start working on some Christmas carols!

    ReplyDelete