Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Magic ponytail

This summer, Meaghan asked me what the source was of my newfound “fire” lit under my running butt…I wasn’t really sure.  I’m still not sure, but I know I’ve had probably the best training season in ten years - both physically and mentally.  Here are my thoughts on the topic:

I’m drinking more/better
I discovered PowerAde Zero by way of Scott.  I’m not overly worried about calories, however this drink gets me the fluids I need without all the sugar and calories.  Considering how much I loathe water, this has become a perfect antidote to my previously consistent state of dehydration.

General nutrition
I’m always more focused on nutrition when I’m training for a marathon.  However I have recently tried to pay closer attention to portion control.  I do realize that marathon training does not give me license to scour the cabinets and countertops as if at an all-you-can-eat-buffet…..
Improvements lead to confidence
When I ran Mohawk Hudson River Marathon on 10/10/10, I pushed – for the first time in a marathon.  It hurt and I slowed at times, but for the most part, I felt like I shifted into some new gear.  That marathon remains my marathon PR to date at 3:56:36 and the memory has served as a reminder during all my training runs and races since then.

Scott’s been motivated
Let’s face it, when your husband is motivated and also training for a Fall marathon, it’s catchy.  Scott’s been a great help to me in pushing me to test my limits, supporting me, and coaching me.  In addition, I supported him during his 50 miler (which took place 2 wks post Mohawk Hudson River Marathon) and was amazed at true endurance in the making.  
Even though I'm not quite ready for a 50 miler and the 18 miler several weeks ago pushed my Achilles limits a bit too far, running with Scott was another confidence booster for me.

Remained fairly injury-free
Other than the testy Achilles issue, I’ve been injury-free….

Magic ponytail
My final thought is the magic ponytail.  For the first time in decades (maybe since I was in 3rd grade), I have long hair.  The kind of hair I can easily scoop up into a ponytail.  A magic ponytail  (yes, those are my natural curls).  In fact, I’m giddy at the thought of wearing a ponytail elastic around my wrist – cuz isn’t that what all the cool girls do?  And the idea of being able to don a baseball cap and have a decent length ponytail to stick through the back?  Priceless.


So yeah, it’s totally the ponytail Meaghan.  

4 comments:

  1. SHRIEK!!! I KNEW it was the ponytail! Seriously though, I wish I could put into words how proud I am of you- you have been kicking ass and taking names for the past year and it's been incredible to watch. I can't wait to see what is still in store for you. As long as you keep the ponytail :) xoxoxo..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ponytail's-a-stayin', Thanks for the encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete