Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Gatorade-cicle (a long training run report)

Today was a cold one!  I realize it’s Winter and that it’s supposed to be cold, but during this unseasonably-warmer-no-snow-kind-of-New-England Winter, my cold tolerance is a bit low.  Anyhoo….

Had just shy a 15 miler on today’s agenda.  My friends Martyn and Andy offered to join me.  Scott usually runs with them, but sadly, he’s injured.  Over the last couple of weeks, he’s been nursing a foot issue which seemed like it was starting to rally.  Yesterday, the opposite calf struck him down.  I’m not sure what’s going on, but it stinks to be injured and I feel for him.  I took one for the team though, and jumped in his place to run with the guys. 

I was a little nervous about being “that slow runner” and holding them back.  I had a laundry list of things that didn’t feel quite right today, but I refused to acknowledge them, let alone utter them out loud.  I’ve been pushing the sore throat back down as far as it can go, my stomach was “eh”, my shins were questionable.  And did I mention it was cold (~12 degrees)?  And windy.  Enter wind chill.

Our route was a hilly one.  Aren’t they all??  It’s one of my favorite routes actually because of its peacefulness, its winding roads, its hills.  There’s a pretty reservoir along the way where we usually see a number of ice fishers camped out there.  This year?  No ice.  The only ice seemed to be caked onto my mittens, my facemask, and my bottle of Gatorade.  It was one of those days where the wind was blowing so consistently strong that my facemask froze along with my sippy top on my Gatorade bottle.  My layers were well situated however, so I was never truly cold – except for my eyes which did their share of tearing up.

At approximately mile 11, Martyn and Andy jumped into Scott’s truck (Scott had come out to check on us and provided a great water stop).  Martyn had raced yesterday and won his age division!  Andy had run a long-ish run yesterday as well.  I thanked them profusely for the great company and the inspiration to hasten my pace.  Running with people who are faster than you is a sure way to test your own mettle and maybe run a little faster than you thought you could. 

The last 3+ miles felt like the “marathon shuffle”, but I kept on moving forward.  I enjoy running solo as much as I enjoy running with friends, but I was feeling a bit beaten up.  The faster earlier miles along with the wind was taking its toll on my energy level.  I probably could’ve used a 2nd GU at some point, but I never quite timed it right out there.  That’s why long runs are so important – better to make timing mistakes or pace adjustments during a long training run than during the actual marathon!

Off now to ice the shins (preventive measures) and put on my awesome compression calf sleeves.  If nothing else, the compression sleeves make my legs feel warmer.  And after this morning’s Gatorade-cicle run, I’m all about being warm.

11 comments:

  1. Ooh, I got to enjoy my Gatorage-cicle yesterday! I keep thinking about this July/August when these frigid days will seem like some kind of idyllic winter wonderland during 90 degree runs!
    Ah, the marathon shuffle - I know exactly what you mean!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got through your Gatorade-cicle run too! At least during the 90 degree runs, we're not so pasty white while we run :)

      Delete
  2. Way to tough it out in the cold. I had to go out briefly this morning and I couldn't believe how cold it was. Love the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. I hope you're back in form again soon!

      Delete
  3. -12? Brr! I think the entire nation experienced a cold snap this weekend. Each mount it wash. The 20's here in North Texas; that's a rarity for us!
    Great job pushing through and getting your run done though. Hope you're keeping warm now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least when it's this cold, I know exactly how to layer. When it's "in between", it gets harder. (trying to look at glass half full). Now that I'm done, I am toasty - pellet stove is roaring :) Aaaah.

      Stay warm!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on a great run. I know running in the cold is very hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds super-cold and hard with a tough pair of partners. You are tough! I love the runs that end with some piece of gear (or hair) being frozen. I will run in cold temps any day over August heat. But we don't get to pick.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terzah. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it, right? :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a tough, hard run! Way to stick it out. I'm glad your shins held up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, I'm glad my shins were team players too :)

      Delete