Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mind over (20 miles of) matter

A week of vacationing can make a girl lazy.  Happy, but definitely lazy.  But when you have a 20 miler scheduled for the weekend you return, what’s a girl to do?  Run 20 miles of course!

I started my inner, motivating dialog somewhere around Wednesday while drinking a fruity drink and watching the bull riding activities on the beach.  I figured I could fuel up easily via buffet, as long as I didn’t overdo or choose the wrong more delicious foods.  Getting my head wrapped around my long run is always paramount, but I knew this one would be a little more challenging – physically and mentally.

Long story longer….Arrived home at a little after 9pm Saturday night, after being in travel mode since 10am.  What I hadn’t planned for was the fact that we returned on the evening of “turning the clocks ahead”.  In addition, I hadn’t considered the already 1 hour difference between Mexico and MA.  Yes folks, that meant we lost 2 hours.  I’m tired just remembering how I felt when I forced myself to get up early Sunday morning for that 20 miler.

The run went fine; nothing stellar, but I did it.  Scott was his usual rock star self, heading off to pick Bella up from “puppy camp” and then checking on me.  I’m so glad I stuck with my plan.  The feeling of conquering that run was so much better than the feeling I would’ve had if I’d let my vacation laziness carry into Sunday.  This Friday marks 1 month until Boston – vacation laziness is officially OVAH!


11 comments:

  1. The vacation probably helped the run! Good job, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terzah :)

      I think it did! There's something about "absence makes the heart grow fonder"....

      Delete
  2. I know that feeling! We lost 3 hours! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy :)

      Whoa, 3 hours for you? Jeez, where'd you go....west coast?

      Tough getting back into the swing of things huh? How'd Avery bounce back?

      Delete
  3. Wow, one month until Boston!! Way to go doing your run. I'd like to say I'd do the same but I am afraid I wouldn't...hmmm that might be one of the reasons YOU are running in the Boston marathon and I'm not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a constant battle to make sure I didn't back out, believe me!

      Delete
  4. You are amazing and I can't wait for you to run Boston! Time is going to fly by and you are so ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Boston - it really IS right around the corner. Push time - have fun with the final stretch!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG 4 weeks only. Boston sneaks up every year, I swear. Great job getting that 20 in!

    ReplyDelete