Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Friday, July 6, 2012

Magic Cap

Remember last year when I introduced you to my uninvited running partners? Yeah, well…they’re baaaack!!!  Every year, right about this time, the horse flies come out.  In force.  This year is no different.  But wait, it may be different afterall…

Recently, Scott picked up a new trick to combat these flying beasts while we’re out running – especially in the woods.  And I being the sharing kind of person that I am will share this new trick with all of you.  So you too can have a magic cap! 

Materials you’ll need:
  • Baseball cap (or visor)
  • Duct tape
  • Tanglefoot
Recipe:
  • Place 2 pieces of duct tape to create a wide area on baseball cap – preferably on the back of cap, since horseflies usually head to the back of the neck.
  • Spread the tanglefoot like peanut butter on the duct tape.  The goal is to not get it on the cap, but just in case, select a cap you don't care about ruining.
  • Now, go run and compare who’s catching more flies on their cap!

One word of caution:  remember not to swat at your cap or else you’ll end up with a hand full of tanglefoot.  If/when you do though, just wash your hands with something citric. 

It seriously works.


First run with our “magic cap” = 14 horseflies
Second run with our “magic cap” = 40+ horseflies (a new PR!)


You’re welcome J



16 comments:

  1. I HATE horseflies!!! This hat is genius! Can I wear it to the Cape beaches? Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a useful cap in any horsefly area! The beach green-heads are probably the worst.

      Delete
  2. Whoa! That is some serious apparatus! So glad it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband's pretty resourceful (aka MacGyver)

      Delete
  3. That's awesome. What a great idea. The horseflies seem really bad this year, can't even swim in my pool without getting bitten by those little buggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you could wear the magic cap even in the pool - but only if you keep your head above water :)

      Happy summer!

      Delete
  4. HAHAHA! I love it! I wonder if it would work for gnats too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would guess anything would stick to this stuff!

      Delete
  5. I thought this was a joke, but then I saw your photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no joke! Of course, you have to not care so much what you look like during a run :)

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh - that is hilarious!!! You need an infomercial!!
    I agree with Many, above, does it work to cut through the giant swarms of gnats?? That would be sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get my husband right on his infomercial :)

      Delete
  7. This is hysterical! I run at the state park near my house and the horse flies are out and I got bit on the back of my shoulder and on both of my calves. Hum...wonder if I could slap that stuff on those spots! Hahah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing! BEfore we know it, we'll be covered in tape/guck and weighed down with a million horseflies! Yuck.

      Delete