Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I want a do-over!

So last week I was struggling over my first run post-Stone Cat.  Not struggling because I didn’t feel good, but struggling because I didn’t want to overwrite this –

But by Sunday morning, 7 days post ultra, I was ready and even excited to slip into my running shoes and head out.  Bella was excited too, since she had also gone 7 days without her fun, lead-less run.  I took one last look at my DailyMile “last run” of 50 miles, and replaced it with a last run of 5 miles. 

I survived the DailyMile mileage replacement just fine.  It’s the post-5 miles I’m having a bit of trouble with….

During and immediately after my run on Sunday, I felt totally fine.  By Monday afternoon, after having been sitting at my desk for awhile, I got up to go to the printer.  Owie!  Something felt very sharp and almost burning just above my outer ankle and up my outer calf - approximately 4-5 inches.  The area seemed a touch swollen and continued to rebel each time I flexed my foot in any way. 
 
Later, I limped to my car, then limped into the local market for a quick purchase, and finally limped into my house.  Scott wrapped it tightly and we headed/limped out to dinner.  The compression was helpful during that time that I couldn’t elevate or ice it.  But man did it hurt!  I was immediately discouraged that I had just done something pretty bad to my leg with a stupid run that could have waited.  Afterall, I have no races in my future, so no pressure to pick right up with training.

Since Monday, I’ve been indulging in lots of R.I.C.E. activity and trying to embrace this new found post-race inactivity.  Of course, because I can’t run at this moment, that’s all I want to do!!  I have a firm grasp on perspective though; I am not a few days prior to a big race and I don’t seem to be formally “injured”.  I've self diagnosed, with the help of my physiologically smarty-pants friends, that I’m probably experiencing an over-use strain and, as long as I take care of it properly now, it should work itself out soon enough and not return.  So far so good!

Moral of the story?  Next time, leave the 50 mile “last run” intact on DailyMaile for a reallllllyyyyy long time.  Maybe I can take back the 5 miler, if not to avoid the strain, but at least to milk the memory of that “last run" for as long as possible...

12 comments:

  1. Aww, bummer. At least you still get to see it on your "longest run" on DM... forever? :) Hope you heal up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man- I hope it's just a niggle that clears up in a few days. In the meantime, I'd still be basking in post-ultra glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right (love that term: niggle!), since I've already felt a great deal of improvement.

      Oh, and definitely still basking in the glory for sure!

      Delete
  3. Wow. I have no words, 50miles?!! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks for stopping by! I know, I still can't believe I ran 50 miles. Thanks :)

      Delete
  4. Oh man, I am sorry to hear that! I would think that two weeks off post-50 miler (especially your first) is appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, I agree a little longer recovery is/was needed. I've been going for so long that it felt unnatural to NOT run. Oh well, now I know!

      Delete
  5. That really stinks. I hope that the RICE pays off and you're able to get back out there soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RICE rocks! Feeling tons better already, thanks! Now I have to be smart w/ my re--entry.....

      Delete
  6. Oh no! That's awful :( Have you ever tried Active Release Therapy? It's worked magic for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it, but thanks for the tip!

      Delete