Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Patience

I’ve been afraid to run.  After my first run post-Stone Cat, I experienced some sharp pain in my right shin-ish area.  It hurt to walk, let alone run.  I’ve overdosed on RICE and expressed my fear to Scott once or twice or twenty times….  I said it once before, “Aren’t we all just one step away from injury?” 

Now, I’m not injured.  I agree with others I’ve tapped that I just needed to recover a bit longer from my crazy 50 mile run.  But it’s scary to step back out.  Why?  Because I don’t want it to become an injury – especially an injury that might recur.  I don’t have any patience for that.

So, I’m using my patience in the form of…..baby steps.  It’s been hard to simply stop.  After logging so many miles over the summer and having my first ultra just about take over my every waking (and sleeping) thought, I’ve stopped.  I have no race goals; nothing.  I’ve been tempted to sign up for something, but then I heard Scott’s advice and have decided to heed it.  He advised, “Why rush it….just enjoy running without the pressure of a race”.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first run post-post-Stone Cat run.  And felt no pain.  This I can be patient with.



10 comments:

  1. Patience is right! You have done so much this year and it is time to give those legs a break. I know the feeling of wanting to sign up for races but it will be tougher for you when you can't run them due to pain or injury. Take it easy and rest is what is going to make you feel better! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! You've definitely had lots of practice in patience, but glad to hear you're back on track :) I'm embracing the whole "go slower to get faster" thing.

      Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  2. Yes yes yes! Patience. So hard when we don't have goals after spending so much of our time focused on something. But also so nice to just run for fun, take it easy, and give our body a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it Amanda! I embraced that this morning by walking a local race w/ some family members. Wasn't about speed....it was about getting out, spending time w/ family we don't see everyday and being thankful that I CAN.

      Happy Thanksgiving!!

      Delete
  3. Patience is hard! I'm also trying to be patient with my knee right now, it's not injury, but you said it, just one step away from it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is a test! Wanna get out there...but also don't wanna see this lasting any longer than it has to!!

      Delete
  4. Good for you for practicing patience! I am really looking forward to having that time between races...it's so nice just to run! Sorry if I've already suggested this site, but Sock Doc is great and has some great info on injury prevention
    http://sock-doc.com/ I've found his advice particularly useful during my marathon training that I'm just about finished with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggested site. I'll check it out :)

      Delete
  5. your right shin, my left -

    thankfully mine seems to being fading away, and I hope by now, yours has faded too. I totally believe in ice, seems to work well for me....

    patience - that's a tough one !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny, I do think I'm turning a corner! I'll be happy when I go out to run and forget about all the twinges. That'll be my true signal that all is back to normal :)

      Delete