Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

1400???

I’m the first person to say “it’s not all about the number”, but I’m human and competitive with myself.  I’ve scratched and crawled my way to try to reach 1000 miles in a calendar year.  I’ve also had a handful of years where I had very few miles to celebrate, while focused on other things.  Not that I place a lot of energy on that goal, but of course, by around mid-December of any given year, it suddenly taunts me.  This year is quite different in my goal and expectation.  With three marathons and one 50 miler under my belt for 2012 (and all the training miles that supported those endeavors), I’m flirting with my first 1400 mile year!

Gulp.  I’m humbled.  I really am.

Every year – every day – is different.  2012 has been phenomenal for me in that it provided a new palate for me to dabble with all sorts of new colors in the form of ultra training.  I ventured into miles never even dreamt of prior to this past summer.  And I didn’t break!  I embraced a combination of faster shorter distances married with longer (31 miles long enough??) slower distances.  Even with such a solid training cycle, I never lost respect for this new distance I was contemplating. 

I’m excited for the New Year – in fact, it’s my most favorite holiday of the year.  No, seriously, it is!  I love it more than any other holiday during the year.  I love wiping the board clean, I love reflecting over the past year (good or bad), and I love pondering over what the new year might bring.  I don’t really get into “New Year Resolutions”, but I do love this time of renewal.

Whether I make 1400 miles for the year or I end at 1398, it’s all good.  Although I won’t hurt myself trying to cram in the miles over the next couple of weeks, I will continue to run and ask my body to cooperate as it has been doing.  And maybe a little more.

Cheers to a great 2012, a running mileage milestone, a marathon PR, a distance PR.  And cheers to all of you for following along so far.  Stay tuned to see if the DailyMile turns to 1400 anytime soon!

And soon, it will be time to begin again J




10 comments:

  1. Congrats on a great year!

    I was hoping to hit 1,000 this year but like you said, I'm not going to hurt myself trying to cram the final miles in.

    Here's to a great 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! Funny how the numbers can make us a little crazy, but agreed...no need to hurt ourselves!

      I wish you a great 2013!!

      Delete
  2. Man that's awesome! I had my first ever "goal" for running this year....1200 miles. Ha, apparently I didn't analyze that number very well cause I'm not going to come any where close. Oh well, now I know to make a more realistic goal for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael!! Healthy attitude....make the goal and tweak as needed. Who knows what 2013 will bring :)

      Delete
  3. Those are some great running miles. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's incredible mileage! Congratulations!
    I think you worded it perfectly, "I ventured into miles never even dreamt of prior to this past summer. And I didn’t break!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! It's always an adventure, isn't it?

      Delete
  5. I'm cheering you on! That's so exciting, and such an amazing milestone! I'm close to 1,200, but like you, not going to hurt myself to get there. I love your word renewal for the new year... perfect. Congrats on such a fantastic year of running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Running milestones of any kind are cool, aren't they?

      Delete