Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Some Good Memories from Boston 2013

I will never forget what happened at the 117th Boston Marathon.  Although not completely emerged from the shock of this brutal attack, I am trying to embrace the positive – which includes my important role on Monday as a volunteer.  As a runner, I’ve always thanked the volunteers and sung their praises, for without volunteers, our races could not happen.  I felt privileged to be there at this, my 2nd time volunteering at Boston.  Given the events of the day, it was even more special to me that I did something positive for runners on a day that turned so tragic.

Monday started out very early in our household; Scott flew off to grab a bus to Hopkinton, while I commuted into Framingham for a 7:00 am meeting time.  Framingham is not close by the way!  Once we arrived, we were given our badges and volunteer jackets –

Then we got to work!  There was quite a bit of setup needed; tables, signage, cups, water, Gatorade, pouring, etc.  And that was well before the runners arrived.

I was giddy as the elite women arrived – Go Kara!!!   Go Shalane!!!  Gawd, they made it look so easy…
And if I wasn’t already inspired, the Hoyts happened along –

Hoarse and slightly sun-kissed from being outside all day and cheering nonstop, I felt so happy and satisfied.  If you can’t run Boston Marathon, volunteering is the next best thing!

Shortly after I arrived home, our neighbor delivered two “congratulations” posters for Scott made by her two children –
Sad memories – yes.  But lots of good memories too.  And hopefully soon, the good memories - like this beautiful poster - will overtake the sad.

18 comments:

  1. You definitely brightened lots of athletes' days by volunteering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you volunteered while your husband ran. It is so important to remember all of the good that happened on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you can look at the positive about it and write about it. I think it is sad that people are almost a bit afraid of celebrating their accomplishments for fear of being insensitive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to look at the positive; otherwise it's too sad to bear.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this post! It's so important to remember and celebrate the positives. All part of healing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think so people are afraid to write anything about their Boston experience...but it's ok. It's all part of healing. There were positives about the day, and while it was certainly overshadowed by the tragic events, I think it's ok to try to see some of those positives. I love to volunteer at races...I can't imagine having been there on that day though. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its hard enough knowing I've been there the last 3 years and that my husband was indeed there this year. I can't imagine being there, though I know a few who were, who heard it, and who were very close to danger.

      And tonight, they tracked down suspect #2. Maybe true healing can begin...

      Delete
  6. You were in Framingham? I was across from the mile 7 marker. Great job Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of us were directly in front of Burger King; my group was further up the road and across the street. The runners kept us hopping!!

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for volunteering. As my first time at Boston I was blown away by all the volunteers and their dedication! Thank you, too for your kind words on my post. It's still hard and I'm still crying some every day but this too shall pass. Thank you for your encouragement along the course and now!!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need to be kind to ourselves now - and moving forward. I think, despite the injury and death they brought on us, it ends up being an opposite effect: we end up getting stronger as a result of an attack like this.

      Delete
  8. I'm right there with ya on the volunteering......I worked the mile 4 water stop back in 2009 and it inspired me to run it myself. I don't know about you, but I plan to make every effort necessary to get myself to the start line in Hopkinton next April.....will I see you there? :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure gonna try Bill!! 3 weeks from today, I'll have my first chance....:)

      Delete
  9. What an awesome experience volunteering at such a race must be. I hope those memories will help ease the hurt and shock of the later events as time passes. Many hugs to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete