Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Friday, March 28, 2014

And so it begins...

Yes, I’m talking about Spring.  And I’m talking about some of the changes that come with Spring…

  • Temperatures warming
  • Snow melting
  • Mud accumulating
  • Birds singing

Twilight trail run this week - bye bye snow & ice!

I’m also talking about

             Race registering

                     BIG race registering

                         EPIC race registering

I registered for a little ‘ole race called Ghost Train.  If you’ve followed long enough (and have hung on through my writing droughts!), you may remember I ran Ghost Train 15 miler last October.  My goal was to scope this course out to see if I could mentally stand running a lot longer on it.  Like, 85 miles longer to be specific.

For someone who is so dangerously directionally challenged, I have no choice but to consider the lost-ability factor when choosing an off-road course.  When I ran StoneCat 50 back in 2012, Scott helped me train and ran the whole race alongside of me.  Turns out, StoneCat is very well marked, but for this trail newbie at the time, having my run chaperoned by someone with an internal compass was not a desire, but a necessity.  Ghost Train is a 2 part race:  the ultra starts on Saturday morning at 9am and lasts for 30 hours; the 15 miler starts the next morning at 9am and consists of one out-and-back of the 7.5 mile course.

When Sue and I ran the 15 miler last year, we ran alongside some of the ultra runners who were somewhere in the later stages of the ultra.  Many times, we’d look at each and just marvel at the craziness dedication these 100 milers were demonstrating.  Most were walking at this point and we were honored to be in their company.

Sue and I running 2013 Ghost Train 15 miler

This year, I want to be one of those walking 100 milers.  I want to be passed when I’m at mile 90 by some fresh, spring-in-their-step 15 milers.  I want to finish 100 miles.  I want to reach that new level of craziness dedication.  I want to finish SMILING.

So 2014 looks to be the year of some wonderfully crazy training and a promising life altering 100 mile race.

Bring it on.  Bring.It.On!


8 comments:

  1. WOW! This is so exciting! I would totally join (or at least pace) you if I were anywhere close. I guess I will just have to live vicariously through your blog :) More details soon, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH that would be so cool!!! There's a lot of time to consider a trip to NH....c'mon, you know you want to.....

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine running 100 miles! What a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still getting my brain around it too! But I also remember not being able to imagine running a marathon....then a 50 miler..... :)

      Delete
  3. That's my girl! I'll take care of my grandpuppy any time you need me! Woo Hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe you can help walk me in some of the final miles....:) Thanks for always being so supportive! xoxoxo!

      Delete
  4. My friend has run that 100-miler for the last two years. I was going to pace her for the end of it last year, but then I broke my arm two days before the race. :( Not sure if she's doing it again this year, but if she is, maybe I'll see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, I remember reading of your break :( That'd be very cool to see some bloggy friends live - though by mile 90 I might think I'm hallucinating!!!!

      Delete