Life's little adventures, accompanied by a running watch

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Humbled

Scott invited me to run a mostly-trails 20 miler with him today.  As always, I jumped at the chance!  Ghost Train and Stonecat will be here in no time.  There’s just one thing….

I haven’t been acting like someone who respects a 20 mile distance. 

My eating’s been off/crappy/lackluster.  My drinking has been the same.  I wish we were talking alcohol, but no folks, we are talking the simple act of hydration.  Nada.  My during-the-week miles have been almost non-existent and I can list all of the usual excuses (commute, commute, and commute), but here’s another thing….

If I want it bad enough, I’ll make it happen. 

I beat myself up enough during and immediately after the run, so I’m not going to do it again here.  But suffice it to say, I’ve been seriously humbled.  And it wasn’t just today’s long run.  So, apparently I needed to bonk a number of times this summer in order for the message to get through…

Junk in; junk out. 

Message received.




2 comments:

  1. I've been in THAT spot before! Not pretty. It was at Tuft's 10K. Can't remember the year. I think I blocked it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, not pretty....but as always, learning as I go!

      Delete